Sunday, December 4, 2016

Weekend Recap

Even though I did my usual Life Lately post on Thursday, it feels like it's been awhile since I've posted anything. It was a loooong weekend.

Thursday was cookie baking day for our large order for Hood's Hardware. I made nine batches of chocolate chip cookies and three batches of Snickerdoodles. And my little helper was right there with me for part of it.  She'd stand there and say, "Cook!"

My mom came over to help with Lucy so I could power through. It took about eight hours start to finish, which is about four hours longer than I anticipated! Even though Oma was there, sometimes Lucy just wanted her mama. Here's three generations of happy cookies bakers!

My mom folded laundry, and Lu thought it was hilarious to try and put it on before she folded it. 

I had two boxes like this and one of Snickerdoodles to deliver. #preciouscargo #anddelicious

The Yankee Candle sale had a Garden Party theme. Here are the amazing sugar cookies my SIL made. 

Here's the display at the store on the day of the sale. 

Friday morning, we headed downriver bright and early to deliver the cookies. Lucy wore a Christmas outfit, and I could barely handle the cuteness of those boots!

Oma and Papa's house has way cooler decorations than ours does. 

I'm not sure how many years my dad has been wearing this hat at Christmas, but I'm fairly certain he had it when I lived at home!

Matty spent all day Saturday helping our friends the Heinbuchs move. 

Since I knew I was going to be on my own with Lucy all day, we headed to the mall for a bit in the morning to try and finish up our Christmas shopping. Which, of course, means we started at the play place. 

Hanging with the big kids. 

This is how we shopped for a good portion of our trip. I was pretty darn tired by the time we got home, but what else is new?! Also, this must have been a really weird angle because, despite how it looks, I do still have a wrist between my arm and hand. 

While I was trying to make us some dinner on Saturday, Lucy figured out how to open up our pack of straws. It kept her super occupied, so I didn't even bother to stop her. 

Carla texted me this adorable pic on Saturday evening. Gordie is ready for Christmas!

So Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights Lucy did not sleep well at all. She'd wake up every half an hour or hour calling for me and wanting to snuggle. Other than not eating very well lately, she had been behaving fine so I chalked it up to some sort of 18 month sleep regression. 

Sunday morning, after a long night of not sleeping, these spots showed up on Lucy's torso. 

She's had Roseola a few times before, and the symptoms are always a little different each time. I'm self-diagnosing this as Roseola . . . again. Thank goodness it didn't come with the 105 degree fever this time! 

So as if being sick, a little fussy, and not sleeping weren't enough . . . we were supposed to go to a Christmas party Sunday evening with my mama friends, the kiddos, and the husbands. I've been looking forward to it for a month and a half! But, it's usually frowned upon to take a spotty, feverish child to play with other children, so we couldn't go. This is Lucy's disappointed face. Mine had a few more tears on it. 

Not even daddy's headphones could cheer her up. 

Warning: we went a little crazy with the selfies in this last section!

Due to her lack of sleep Saturday night, Lucy went down for an early nap. After putting away groceries, eating lunch, and folding laundry, I decided to hunker down for a bit and try to rest up because I anticipated Lucy taking a fairly long nap. Matty was watching the Lions game and documented the fact that I was resting. He said about minute after I fell asleep, Lucy woke up and started calling for me. It woke me up, and I was so bummed. Why do I even bother?!

He went and got her and brought her out to me in the hopes that she'd snuggle with us on the couch for a bit. 

Which she definitely did! She snuggled on top of me for a few minutes . . . 

 . . . and then I looked down and saw this. My heart melted!

It's pretty much impossible for me to fall asleep on my back, so I was just kind of stuck laying there with a 26 pound toddler sprawled across my chest. I didn't mind! Matty didn't mind having some peace and quiet to watch the football game. 

That little mouth is just too much!

She snoozed for another hour and a half!

One second she was asleep on my chest, and the next she sat right up and started whining and pointing at my book light on the ottoman. 

Our sweet little sick baby girl. 

Apparently we weren't the only ones relaxing during the football game. 

And that's all she wrote. The rest of the day was spent snuggling and keeping Lucy occupied. And not going to our Christmas party :( 

Once the rash appears the Roseola usually starts to improve, so hopefully Lucy starts to feel better. I'd like to say I think she'll sleep better tonight, but she's already woken up once and needed me to rock her, so we shall see. 

Hope everyone has a great week!


  1. I was creepin' on the blog to see if you had a new post and lo and behold, here it is :) That picture of you, Lucy and Mom is really really fabulous and should be framed and put in your kitchen. Just my two cents!